Thursday, March 1, 2012

St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

I've decided to change my attack here a bit - rather than simply dumping all of the old reviews I have first and remaining constantly behind, I've decided I'll post my current reviews as I do them, while filling blank days with something from the archives.  This way my current reviews will be fresh in my head at the time of posting, rather than simply rewriting my notes.

So, without further adieu, my most recent entry in the notebook.

St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (Stout)
Brewed By: McAuslan Brewing
Style: Stout
ABV: 5%

What the brewer says...

"Brewed from 40 percent dark malts and roasted barley, this intensely black ale carries strong hints of espresso and chocolate. Oatmeal contributes body and a long-lasting mocha-colored head to this well-hopped beer."

What I say...

I get this one on my occasional trips to Saskatchewan - I have a buddy who runs a small town hotel out there that orders it in special for me.  It's $17 a case, so it's a bit pricey, but since I can't get it in Manitoba, it's worth the extra cost for me.

Like any good stout, this beer pours as black as night, not letting even a speck of light through to the other side.  With a generous pour, you're rewarded with a thick, creamy head the color of caramel.  Gorgeous.

Mounds of malt on the nose, with hints of coffee as well.  All in all, the pre-drink package is extremely inviting.  While taking in the scenery, the head faded to a thin lace - fairly typical of most stouts (Guinness being a notable exception, naturally).

The first taste is excellent - a rush of roasted malt across my taste buds, followed by an aftertaste of coffee and chocolate.  Warms the palate and leaves lingering roasted malt taste that begs me for another taste.

Aroma: 9/10
Taste: 10/10
Appearance: 5/5
Palate: 5/5

Overall: 19/20

There's absolutely nothing bad I can say about this beer - I love it.  Since the first time I tasted it while living in London, Ontario, it's been one of my all time favorites.  I can only hope that the MLCC will eventually start carrying it, so I don't have to drive 90 minutes to stock up.

View on Ratebeer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis