Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Beer

(Boulevard Sampler Pack 3/6)

This is beer number 3 of 6 from the sampler pack I picked up in Minot, ND around New Year's - I originally tasted it on February 24th, 2012.

Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Beer (Wheat Ale)
Brewed By: Boulevard Brewing Company
Style: Wheat Ale
ABV: 4.4%

What the brewer says...

"Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Beer is a lively, refreshing ale with a naturally citrusy flavor and distinctive cloudy appearance. It is reminiscent of the wheat beers that were brewed at the turn of the century, before the advent of modern filtration. This easy-drinking American-style wheat beer has become our most popular offering, and the best-selling craft beer in the Midwest. 2008 GABF gold medal winner in Session Beer category."

What I say...

I always try to review beer fairly when it comes to style.  Sometimes, I will cut a beer some slack on taste or aroma, simply because I know that said style is supposed to taste a certain way, even if it's not necessarily the way I prefer my beer to be.  Most of the time though, I review things as I see them, based on how much (or little) I enjoyed it, and how likely (or unlikely) I am to seek it out again.

With that in mind: wheat beers are not my favorite style.

Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat pours out hazy and yellow, with little to no head.  What little head there is, is gone shortly thereafter.  No lace is left on the glass as you drink.

The aroma is faint and nearly undetectable, but if I search for it, I can detect faint hints of citrus and soap.

This beer is very smooth and quite bubbly - carbonation levels here are higher than average.  It's initially quite mellow tasting, though there are mild citrus notes on the finish.  There's basically no hop bitterness here at all.

Aroma: 4/10
Appearance: 2/5
Taste: 6/10
Palate: 4/5

Overall: 11/20

This beer is fine.  It's absolutely, positively OK.  There's nothing bad I can note about it, but there's simply nothing interesting here either.  If you like wheat beers, you might get a bit more out of this than I did, I think it's an above average wheat beer.  If I'd been drinking this on a hot summer day, I might have enjoyed it more than I did as well.  As is, I'd take another if it were given to me, but I'd never seek it out to purchase again.

View on Ratebeer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis