Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Boulevard Nutcracker Ale

(Boulevard Sampler Pack 5/6)

Almost done with the sampler pack, I swear!  Originally tasted on February 27th, 2012, this review also comes by way of the notebook.

Boulevard Nutcracker Ale
(English Strong Ale)
Brewed By: Boulevard Brewing Company
Style: English Strong Ale
ABV: 5.9%

What the brewer says...

"Nutcracker Ale is Boulevard’s holiday gift for real beer lovers. This hearty, warming brew is a classic winter ale, deep amber in color, with hints of molasses balanced by the “spiciness” of freshly harvested Chinook hops."

What I say...

"Nutcracker Ale".  Christmas colours.  What's that mean to you?  To me, I assumed it would be winter ale - brown, some spicy warmth, something like that.  Probably nothing too exciting.  I've only had a few so-called "winter ales", so my experience is limited, but that's what I expected.

That's not at all what I got.

Nutcracker Ale is not a winter ale, it's an English Strong Ale. Because I try to avoid reading rating sites before reviewing something for myself, I was unaware of this fact.

It pours out golden brown with a thick, creamy head that seemingly goes forever.  A fairly slow pour resulted in so much foam that I had to wait for it to settle out a bit before I could put the last bit of the bottle into the glass.

The aroma is mild, not much on the nose here at all.  Faint hints of citrus hops.  I think.  Really, I had a hard time picking out anything at all.

But on the tongue... wow, hops!  No doubt about it here.  There's some light malt, and a strong pine needle hops bitterness that lasts long after swallowing.  Finish is nicely carbonated and leaves me wanting another.

Aroma: 4/10
Appearance: 5/5
Taste: 8/10
Palate: 5/5

Overall: 17/20

I'm very rarely truly surprised when I taste a new beer.  Usually I have a least some idea what I'm tasting and what I can expect.  Not so with Nutcracker, and it was a fantastic surprise in every way.  This is a great beer - if you're down Minot way next winter, put it on your Christmas list.

View on Ratebeer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis