Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Boulevard Bully! Porter

(Boulevard Sampler Pack 6/6)

We've finally reached the end.  Are you tired of Boulevard yet?  I hope not, they may excellent beer, and I have more reviews to come in the near future.  As with the others, this review comes via the notebook, and the sampler was obtained at Marketplace Liquors in Minot, ND.  I reviewed this final beer of the pack on March 1, 2012.

Brewed By: Boulevard Brewing Company
Style: Porter
ABV: 5.4%

What the brewer says...

"The intense flavors of dark-roasted malt in Boulevard’s rendition of the classic English porter are perfectly balanced by a generous and complex hop character. Bully! Porter’s robust nature makes it the ideal companion to a variety of foods, from seafood to chocolate."

What I say...

Bully! Porter pours out dark brown with a reddish hue when held up to the light.  Creamy caramel colored head that leaves traces as you empty your glass.

Nice aroma of roasted malts and caramel.  This is a very appealing beer, both visually and aromatically.

The initial taste is quite bitter, with piles of roasted malt and some coffee on the finish.  Quite a bit stronger and sharper than I expected.  The coffee flavor lingers on the tongue.

Aroma: 8/10
Appearance:5x/5
Taste: 7/10
Palate: 3/5

Overall: 15/20

While I enjoyed this beer, I felt it didn't quite live up to the wonderful presentation.  The bitterness on the end was a bit overwhelming, and, in my eyes, a bit too pronounced for the style.  It was very good, but fell just short of great in my opinion.  Bully! Porter is very much worth a try if you can get your hands on it, but came in behind Single Wide and Nutcracker in the sampler pack reviews.

View on Ratebeer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis