Monday, March 5, 2012

Boulevard Pale Ale

(Boulevard Sampler Pack 2/6)

Review from THE NOTEBOOK, originally tasted January 27th, 2012.

Boulevard Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)
Brewed By: Boulevard Brewing Company
Style: American Pale Ale
ABV: 5.4%

What the brewer says...

"Boulevard Pale Ale is a smooth, fruity, well-balanced beer with year-round appeal. A variety of caramel malts impart a rich flavor and amber color, while liberal use of whole hops adds zest and aroma. Pale Ale is the first beer we brewed, and continues to be a perennial favorite."

What I say...

Number two from the Boulevard Brewing sampler pack I picked up in Minot, I had high expectations for this one as well. "Pale Ale" can be a wildly varied style, ranging from the smooth and not-at-all-pale Bass, to the light and hoppy Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Having just tasted the excellent Single-Wide, I expected something on the hoppy side.

It poured out coppery-gold, with thin head that faded quickly.  The aroma was lacking - I had to swirl it around a bit and cover the top just to get a decent whiff.  Once I did get a hint of it, I found it to be maltier than I expected, no citrusy hops on the nose at all.

On the tongue it's very smooth, with hints of coppery malts.  There are some citrus hops on the tail end here, but nothing close to the Single-Wide.

Aroma: 4/10
Taste: 6/10
Appearance: 3/5
Palate: 3/5

Overall: 13/20

I expected more out of this one.  Maybe it was unfair, having tasted the Single-Wide first, but I just felt there was something lacking with this brew.  It was good, but not great, and in the end, it left me wishing I'd had another Single-Wide.

View on Ratebeer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis